Parent and Grandparent - Temporary Visa

The Parent and Grandparent Visitor Visa allows for the parent or grandparent of a New Zealand citizen or resident to apply for a three year multiple entry visitor visa.  The partner of a parent or grandparent may be included in the application; however, a dependent child (or children) of the parent or grandparent cannot be included. They must apply in their own right under other visitor visa criteria.

The multiple entry visitor visa is valid for three years and allows for a stay of up to six months per entry to New Zealand. 





Parent - Permanent Visa

Parent(s) of a New Zealand citizen or resident, who has been a New Zealand resident for at least three years, may be eligible to join them permanently in New Zealand under Parent Category. The Parent Category is a two tier scheme where people can submit an EOI under either tier one or tier two. 

Tier one has the first priority (currently 12 month waiting period) and has higher income and financial requirements than tier two (currently 7.5 year waiting period). Tier two EOI and applications are processed only after tier one. The applicant will need to submit an Expression of Interest which is assessed by Immigration New Zealand before a Residence Application is made.

The sponsor will need to support the application with evidence that they meet the minimum income and other requirements for sponsorship. 

  • Tier One sponsor and/or their partner must earn a minimum annual income of $65,000 or combined income of $90,000. OR
  • have a guaranteed lifetime minimum annual income of at least NZ$27,319  or NZ$40,084 if your partner is included, OR
  • bring at least NZ$500,000 in settlement funds to New Zealand. You will be given 12 months from the date of the approval in principle to provide evidence that you have transferred the funds to New Zealand. It is possible to request an extension of up to six months if you can show that you have made reasonable attempts to transfer the money to New Zealand. 
  • Tier Two sponsors or their partners must have a gross annual income of at least $33,675; AND
  • have all your adult children living lawfully and permanently outside the country in which you (and your partner) live lawfully and permanently.


Parent Retirement - Permanent Visa

Unlike the Parent Category, you do not need to submit an expression of interest in order to apply under the Parent Retirement Category. 

  • Must have an adult child who lives in New Zealand and who is a New Zealand citizen or resident. 
  • Must not have any dependent children. 
  • Must have sufficient and acceptable investment and settlement funds and/or assets which will need to be invested in New Zealand